Summer Starts


More from Independence Day, aka 4th of July.

This schoolroom held about 16 students so these towns must have been pretty small at the time. Or the kids didn't go to school and stayed home to farm or care for younger siblings.

Those benches look awfully hard, don't you think? I can't imagine any of today's students sitting on those for any length of time.

I love the little library in the back corner.
The school is the red building in the background.

Very small. I don't think you could keep a social distance in there.
Simple rules for reading from 1870.
__________

Our library opened to the public last week. We were all a little hesitant about how it would go but so far it's been okay. We are not busy at all. I think there are still a lot of people who don't want to be in public buildings. We decided to continue curbside service for those who aren't comfortable coming inside. It's working fairly well and everyone seems to be very happy we are back in business, so to speak.

Masks have not been an issue, thank goodness. I had a little one, maybe age five or six, who came to the Children's desk and was swinging her mask from her fingers. I gently reminded her she had to wear it when she came into the library and she looked up at her mama. Mama put the mask on her little face and said to me, "I don't know how these poor teachers are going to keep masks on these little ones all day long."

Me either.

Comments