Happy 4th of July, a wee bit after the fact

Summertime, and the livin' is easy.

Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is fine.

When I get this hot, I want to start singing tunes from Porgy and Bess.

I think I'm melting. Seriously. I put on my make up this morning and watched it run off in rivulets down my face.

But...

I.Am.Not.Complaining.

No sirree, Bob, not me. I'd rather have summer than cold, cold winter so I'm soaking up all this warmth and storing memories for the depths of winter. Brrrrrrr.
4th of July weekend was a good one. Cookouts, friends, family, fireworks. Just like everyone else.
And lots and lots of sunshine.

Sissy and P. made burgers on the grill and I put some leftover guacamole on mine, along with a slice of pepperjack cheese. If you've never tried this, try it. The pepperjack gives it a little bite but the guacamole calms it down. Very good combination and I got the idea from Red Robin. They put guacamole on one of their burgers and I love it.Sissy made fruit salad with a recipe we got from one of our aunt's.

It's a simple but tasty one.

Fruit Salad

2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. orange juice
2 Tbs. lime juice
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar

Mix all this together and pour over chopped up fruit: watermelon, honeydew, cantelope, grapes, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries - whatever fruit you like or have on hand. Let it sit for a couple hours in the fridge and it's ready.

This recipe is so simple but I get asked for it whenever I bring the salad anywhere.

You will too, trust me.
The pool was refreshing, the splashing was out of control and the cannonballs were ridiculous.

Three big boys did cannonballs at the same time.

Us poor girlies in the pool didn't stand a chance.

Aaaaaaargh. We got soaked.

After I got out, I saw all these bottles on the table and thought of Jimmy Buffet's song about "fins to the left, fins to the right," and I had to snap a pic.

J and P. were sitting there, and I wanted them to hold hands so I could get some romantic shots for them.
J. wasn't as cooperative as I'd like and this was the best I could do. Not looking too romantic, huh? Especially when you see the shots I took of them while they thought I was shooting their hand holding staging.
P's checking out her nails.J. is grimacing.

I decided to abandon this pursuit and found another victim someone else to shoot.
Much better. At least that's a real pic.
D. picked me some wildflowers.

Out of sissy's garden.

Shhhh. Don't tell her.

And finally...we finished the weekend with an outdoor concert in Tanglewood, watching James Taylor and Carole King sing under the stars. It was a perfect night to be outside, warm with a slight breeze and all my favorite songs.

I sung and danced my little heart out. Okay, maybe not danced so much, only one song. But my head was bobbing and my legs were tapping and I was singing for the rest of 'em.

It was a quintessential summer night and one I'll tuck away to pull out every now and then when I'm old and wrinkled and gray and rocking on my front porch.





Comments