The Fabulous Aunt G

 
One of my cousins sent me some treasures today.

Old family photographs of one of my favorite aunts, Aunt G. Actually she was my great-aunt, Nan's older sister.

Aunt G was a whole lot of fun. I can remember one New Year's Eve she was with us. She had us all rocking out to some honky-tonk on the piano. She couldn't read a lick of music but she could play by ear. She had that piano jumping and jiving, hopping to the beat. We had a blast. She was an amazing woman. 

She and Nan. They're cut from the same cloth.
She's the lovely young woman in the center of the photo above. I love her smile. I want to know what she was thinking. And who was behind the camera. I think it must have been her husband, Uncle T.

And I love her dress and hat. I wonder what happened to them.
Here she is, a little bit older. 

I always thought she looked like a model. She was graceful and gracious. She had a ready smile and a joke. She always had a hug or three for you. And random objects. She was always bringing some small trinket that she wanted me to have.

~~~~~~~~~~

There are two things I remember most about her.

The twinkle in her eye. And, oh, did her eyes twinkle. Full of mischief and mayhem, she could tell stories from the old days that had you on the floor. Stories about moonshine, and constables, and car chases. Hiding boys in the attic. Dates at dance clubs. Ducking out of dates she didn't like. Lots of great fun that made for some of the best stories I've ever heard. 

And her brownies. She had the best brownies, hands down, that I've ever eaten. She shared the recipe with us and it's an old one. Anytime I bring these brownies, people start purring. They are that good.


Aunt G's Brownies

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
4 squares Baker's semi-sweet chocolate, melted
4 packets Nestle Choco-Bake
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x13 pan and set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the beaten eggs, vanilla, and chocolates. Mix together. Add in the flour and walnuts and mix together.

Pour batter into pan and bake 30-35 minutes. 

*Lick beater attachments and try not to eat out of the bowl. Save some for baking. Seriously. You're going to want to get a spoon and eat it right out of the bowl. 

**This batter is lighter than the usual boxed mix batter. Don't be alarmed and think you left an ingredient out.

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for sending me the photos, cousin. I've had a great trip down memory lane tonight.

Man, do I miss her.










Comments

  1. So many smiles over this post! :) How sweet and vividly drawn a portrait of her this is. She was beautiful, yes--and she looks as sweet in expression as it sounds like she was in soul. Fabulous photos--How wonderful of your cousin to share them. 'Had never heard of Choco-Bake til now. And I'd wear that hat til I wore it out. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment