Random Christmas Stories



K was out Christmas shopping today. She came home carrying LOTS of bags. I was grilling her on what she bought and for whom.

She bought two things for me. Yay!

But then she said she was going to return one of them. Oh, why? I may have asked. Since she already had them, why go to the trouble of returning one? Wasted gas, and all that.

She mulled it over, thinking to herself, then looked at me and said, "You can have both presents. You've been a good mom this year!"

And added, "Plus, then I can wear one of them!"

~~~~~~~~~~

I stopped listening after "You've been a good mom this year!"
The Man and K went out shopping for me last night. He was going to go out by himself but I encouraged him to take K. She knows my taste. And she's a girl. Plus, I've seen what he can do when left to his own devices.

Let's just say the word, mukluks. Yup, I got mukluks one year.

She came home with some pretty.frightening.stories.

The Man had asked me to come up with a Christmas list. It was pretty short since there's not a lot of things I need, or want, right now. I put a few things on, like a music CD and a DVD. I gave a generic "some pretty earrings" and "a pretty bracelet" with some direction to K about getting something sparkly.

I like sparkles.

~~~~~~~~~~

She took him to one of my favorite stores, Anthropologie, and told him he could pick out almost anything in the store and I would love it.

He was back within a few minutes, "Well, that was a bust. Let's go."

What???

She dragged him back in to the store and gave him some direction before she let him loose again.

"Dad, look for a bracelet. There are three criteria - it has to be stretchy, it has to be silver, and it has to sparkle. Now, go!"

He came back with some sort of tribal piece. She took one look at it and told him, "No. It doesn't meet the criteria."

"It stretches!" he said.

"But it's not silver and it definitely doesn't sparkle. Go back and find something else."

It's a good thing she was there.
Mom brought out a Christmas card for me to read last night.

I loved it.

The Older I Get...

the simpler my holiday preparations become...
the closer I feel to old friends as I write my Christmas cards...
the more I cherish the oldest ornaments...
the more fondly I remember Christmases past...
the longer I hold on to a holiday hug...
the more I realize Christmas is a matter of the heart...
the tighter my throat gets when I sing "Silent Night"...
the more I enjoy giving than receiving...
the more I try to see Christmas through the eyes of a child...
the longer I sit at night in the glow of the Christmas tree...
the more wondrously beautiful the Christmas story is...
the deeper my awe at God's infinite love...
the more I love Christmas.

I don't know who the author is. The card didn't say. But I'd like to tell them how much I liked what they wrote. 

Comments