Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies


My MIL makes the best chocolate chip cookies. I don't know where she got the recipe from or how old it is. She's been making these cookies since the Man was just a little punkin.

J and K asked, or rather pleaded, with me to make cookies today. I like to bake in the fall and had some time this afternoon so I agreed. It was rough. Since I don't bake very much they hovered around, sneaking bits and pieces of cookie dough as I was mixing it.  I think they ate half the batch of dough before I could get them into the oven. I didn't fuss at them too much - more playful fussing than anything. It was nice to have "kids" so excited about me baking something again. It's been a while since that happened.

Oy vey. Maybe I need to bake more so it's not some sort of national celebration when I do.

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies (printable recipe)

1½ cups Crisco
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
12 oz chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375°. Mix shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly. Stir dry ingredients together; blend in to shortening mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until delicately browned (cookies should still be soft). Cool slightly before removing from pan. Makes about 8-10 dozen small-med cookies or 4-5 med-large cookies.

~~~~~~~~~~

After they came out of the oven, they swooped in and half a dozen cookies disappeared very fast. Kate wanted to know if Grandma invented chocolate chip cookies. 

Then she said, "They taste like happiness and rainbows."

Yes, they do, K. 

Yes, they do.




Comments