Dance Partners

There is nothing I like better than to sit down under a cozy, furry blanket with a cup of coffee and watch a romantic movie. I've watched A LOT of them. And I watch them over and over. Bridget Jones Diary, Leap Year, Sabrina - just a few of the many that I love. 

One of my favorite romances?

Shall We Dance?

This isn't a movie for newlyweds, or people dating, or even younger married couples. 

Nope, this is a movie for us older, married folk. Couples who have dodged some bullets together. And gone through some fire together.

Mature love. Comfortable love. Love that takes work. And choices. And time.

When asked why people marry, the wife in Shall We Dance? says it's not for love, but because, 
We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'.
Yeah, that sounds right. And reassuring. But not totally true.


I married for love.


~~~~~~~~~~


Watch the clip from the movie. It's the most romantic scene I've watched in a movie. EVER.


He's right.


We know how to dance with our spouses. We've all been doing it for so many years. We know each other's moves, and strengths, and weaknesses. We know when we have to lean and when we have to be the strong partner. When to speed up and when to slow down.


It's a dance I only want to do with one man. The Man.


One husband, one wife.

Twenty-two years ago we promised to stay that way forever. And we will.


God willing, we will.

~~~~~~~~~~


Happy anniversary, sweets.


Comments

  1. Well said--and you two do demonstrate it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said! Happy Anniversary to you two lovebirds.
    You have something rare in a relationship-- acknowledge it; celebrate it; and thank God for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy anniversary! is it bad that i was crying from this video clip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind wishes. No, Lyndsay, it is not bad that you were crying from this clip. I love it so. And it makes me cry, too. I think that means we have tender hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment