Companion Calls

Mr. Black Crow was waiting for us when we got home from our Sunday drive.

He was very busy talking to another crow - the two of them cawed back and forth for a while as I was shooting these photos.
Every time he cawed he would spread his tail feathers in a fan shape.

It must take a lot of effort to caw.
__________

I looked up crow language and it sounds like there are two kinds of calls - alarm calls and companion calls. Alarm calls are when crows speak to each, alerting others about a potential threat.

The caws I heard from this fellow and his friend were companion calls. Just two birds calling out to each other with no threat involved. Cawing and listening for a response. Making sure the other was there and safe.

I think we will all be doing companion calls in the coming days as we social distance ourselves from each other. 

Comments

  1. Yes. I always liked crows. They are almost the smartest animals, you know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment