Put Your John Hancock Here. Not.

Quiet day at home.

I played with the camera for a while. I really like the micro lens I have.
Little candy footballs.
__________

So I ordered a play kitchen from Amazon for Little Man for his birthday. K told me he would like one of these. The one she picked out comes with a recycling bin. He loves putting things in and taking things out. That was good enough for me. Sold.

He's going to be a year old in a couple weeks. I can't believe how fast this past year went by.

I got home on Monday and found a slip on the door from UPS telling me they had attempted to deliver the package and would try again on Tuesday. Later that evening I was checking email and saw a message from Amazon that a signature was required for the delivery. I was invited to call UPS if I had any questions.

I called UPS to ask them if I could leave a signed note releasing them from responsibility for the package and that they could leave it on the porch. It took me a few minutes to get through the automated system and then I was put on hold. A "fourteen minute wait time" was actually a twenty four minute wait so I was a little edgy when a real person finally picked up the call. I explained what I wanted to do and added that they attempted delivery at 1:00pm in the afternoon, when both my husband and I are in the middle of our work day. Impossible time to be at home for a delivery. The UPS agent repeated the company line that a signature was required. I asked him why I had to sign for a $50 plastic toy for a one year old. He said the signature was required by the seller. I told him to pass the call to someone who could help me get the delivery accomplished. He put me back on hold.

Twenty two minutes later a second gentleman picked up the call and I went through the whole story again. This gentleman told me I had two choices: sign for the delivery or pick it up at a UPS customer center about a half hour away. In the big city. 

Nope. Not an option.

I asked him why I had to sign for it. He said because it was a delivery of either a firearm or alcohol.

Nope. It's a plastic toy. For a one year old.

He was bamboozled why they would require a signature on a toy but there was nothing he could do about it. He explained they would attempt delivery again on Tuesday and then Wednesday and if it wasn't delivered at that point, they would hold it at the customer center for five days and then return it to the shipper. Darn. I couldn't let that happen. I was going to have be home all day Wednesday or make a trip to the big city.

So I thanked him and hung up.

If it weren't for the coronavirus I probably would have been out shopping today. But because we're supposed to practice social distancing, I stayed home. It worked out. There's the silver lining in that cloud.

UPS showed up at 12:55pm. I went out on the porch, fully expecting to sign for the delivery. The driver put the box on the porch and turned around to leave. "Wait!" Don't I have to sign for this?" I asked.

"Nope. As long as somebody's home. You know, with the virus and everything," he said as he walked back to the truck.

What?

I don't even know what that means,"...with the virus and everything." 

But I got my package delivered and Little Man is going to love his kitchen.

Comments