Documenting for the Future

He doesn't know anything about what's going on in the world right now.

And I'm so glad.

His world is different right now. He's home with his mom and dad all the time. And his dogs. He must miss his little buddies at daycare and his lovely caregivers.

He must miss seeing his extended family. 

But he's safe and protected and loved. And that's what's important.
K and Little Man stopped over one evening this week and we took an appropriate socially distanced walk around the neighborhood. We passed another family doing the same thing.

We're seeing so many neighbors out, walking and running and bike riding. Dogs must be loving this - they're getting walked several times a day.

People are putting teddy bears in their windows for little ones that are "going on a bear hunt". And red hearts to thank our medical workers and first responders. And decorated paper Easter eggs for children that are going on an Easter egg hunt.

Things to make us feel connected to each other.
I love his scoot. One leg in front and one behind, propelling him forward. 

He moves pretty fast.
__________

I read an article a few days ago about the need to document these days. Those in the future will want to know what it was like to live through this quarantine and social isolation. 

So this is my small part.

I'm discovering that it's harder to work from home. It's more work to sit in front of a computer all day. My bottom is sore from the hard wood dining room chairs. My eyes are wonky from looking at a screen all day. I miss the interaction with my co-workers. 

I'm tired of television - too many scary things being reported. And surfing the Internet. I don't feel like online shopping since I don't want to spend money. We're trying to support our local restaurants by getting takeout a couple times a week but I'm getting tired of that kind of food. 

I miss my friends. Virtual happy hours are okay but I miss face-to-face. I miss my family desperately. I'm worried about my dad coming back from down south. My hair needs coloring. I don't like wearing a mask and gloves when I go out - it's hot and sometimes my glasses fog up. 

BUT.

We're healthy and fairly protected from the outside world. We are still able to see the kids, albeit infrequently, from a distance and that is okay for now. We have plenty of food and toilet paper. I'm still wondering why toilet paper is such a hot commodity around the world since we're not the only ones with empty shelves. We have an internet connection to keep us in touch with loved ones. We have FaceTime and Zoom and Messenger and What's App and all sorts of other things to let us see each other.

And that's all I really want. To see each other. 

Soon.

Comments