Flower Pot Gardens


K and I found a lovely local garden shop last spring. They grow the biggest hanging plants I've ever seen and when I planted one in each of the whiskey barrels we have, they were completely filled. The shop wasn't open this year because of COVID-19.

But K took a pic of a sign they had out last year with tips on how to put together pretty flower pot gardens. She helped me put together some pots for the patio and porches. She has a great sense of what plants and flowers mix well together.

According to our local garden shop, you need a thriller, a chiller(s), a filler(s), and a spiller(s).

The thriller is a plant that adds some WOW! We used variegated tall grass in the center for our thriller. The chillers are foliage plants that make the flowers pop. We used coleus plants and some dusty miller. The fillers are everblooming upright plants, for example daisies, dahlias, petunias. Spillers are plants that hang over the edge of the pot, kind of blending that harsh line of the pot's edge.
We bought lots of flowers for the pots. We made about ten different arrangements. I can't remember all the flowers we bought. I probably should have saved the tags to remind myself next spring.

But where's the fun in that?

Next year's pots will be completely different! I kind of like that idea.

Comments