Alaska, The Great White North. Day Four, part one


So we chartered a small plane, a six seater, to fly us up to the top of Denali. Well, not really the tippy top. They don't do that. But they get you within a half mile of the top.

It's about 90 miles from the park entrance to Denali so it takes a little time to get there. We got to see quite a bit of the park, comprising about 6 million acres.

I got to sit in the front of the plane, right next to the pilot. He had to give me special instructions on things I wasn't supposed to touch, like a pedal on the floor.

Of course I stepped on the pedal about twenty minutes into the flight.

I yelped and confessed immediately.
Denali (former Mt. McKinley) is straight ahead.
The Man talking to our pilot. He was very knowledgeable and had lots of stories to tell. I don't think he ever gets tired of seeing the mountain.
The obligatory tourist shots with Denali in the background.




The Man kept looking at the mountain. It was almost overwhelming to see it so close.
View from the air, as we were approaching the Ruth Glacier where our plane landed. We were able to get out and stand on the glacier and take some photos. The pilot didn't let us wander too far from the plane. The glacier can be a dangerous and there were several other planes coming in and taking off.
A hotel next to the glacier. 

$1000/night.
One of my favorite photos from the whole trip.
Right before we had to get back in to take off.
The plane goes down this hill and heads straight for that gray wall on the mountain side in the center of the photo. It veers off to the right when it gets just a wee bit too close to the wall for my liking.

A little scary.
Another of my favorites.
Not focused but I like it.

The whole trip felt like this, a bit dreamy.
__________

The Man and I are sitting here, watching a movie, having just returned from dinner and an ice cream cone. Hard to believe exactly a year ago we were finishing up packing for the start of our Alaskan adventure.

Stop moving so fast, Mr. Time.

Comments