Fierce Winds

It must have been a mighty fierce wind that came through to blow that flag up and over the lamp.
__________

I've been thinking about the half time show at the Super Bowl last night. There's been all kinds of things said on social media today. Fierce winds that spoke of jiggling booties and tongues coming out, private parts barely covered, and caged children. Things I never thought we'd be talking about today. Statements supporting the two female singers and statements from those who are angry at their performance. 

I'm just sad.

While I watched their performance last night I marveled at their ability to perform at that level, especially at their ages. You can't perform like that without lots of hard work and dedication. Shakira and J. Lo have had phenomenal careers and have every right to be proud of their work.

And that is something worth supporting.

But.

There's that but.

But I wish we were beyond the need to see women as sex objects. And I really wish women would stop letting themselves be seen as sex objects. And dressing in barely there costumes while pole dancing on national television screams sex object. 

So while I support their right to dress how they want and dance the way they want, I'm also asking them to think about another right. The right to be at the top of their game because of their sharp business sense and multiple talents and not because sex sells. 

I'm not judging anyone. These are grown woman capable of making their own decisions and can do what they want. But today, it feels like a fierce wind blew through last night and we got set backwards.

And that makes me sad.


Comments