Ever Again

I decided to color my roots.

I bought a bottle of touch up color with the brush at one end to brush it on. Just squeeze and brush. Sounded pretty easy to me. I bought the kit about a month ago and it took me this long to get up the courage to attempt it.

The last time I colored my own hair...

oh so many years ago

...I squirted the color at the wrong angle when I was applying it to the back of my head. A big splop of color hit the kitchen wall and left about a 12 inch trail as it worked its way down. The Man came home and just about had a heart attack. We ended up having to paint the walls ("We wanted to paint anyway!" I cried) and I was forbidden from coloring ever again.

Ever again.

Well, fast forward twenty years and the coronavirus happens. And the salons are closed. And my roots are growing. And the white skunk stripe is getting bigger and bigger.

And I can't take it anymore. So I decide to color. 

Time has a way of softening memories.
 __________

It went about as bad as you can imagine. I got color all over the plastic gloves and then touched my face and got color all over my face  I squeezed it too hard and it blurped out of the brush and headed to the white sink. With lightning fast reflexes, I caught the splop of color but then I closed my fist and got even MORE color all over the palm of the glove. And somehow a little bit flew onto the wall, which I didn't see right away. 

Oy vey.

I rinsed my hair after the requisite time and proceeded to get color all over the tub. I thought I had rinsed out all the color and stood up to grab a towel from behind me and left a trail of dark drops as I swung my head around. Back under the water to finish rinsing the color out. Stood up, wrapped my head in the towel and saw the color on the wall. Scrubbed at that with a tissue and started to wear the paint off. 

Oh no. I need to stop. Just stop moving.

I threw the tissue out and left the bathroom, hoping that the Man doesn't see the mar on the wall where I rubbed the paint off.

I am forbidding myself from ever coloring my again.

Ever again.

Comments