Trimming Everything

Getting some yard work done.

The Man ripped out a hydrangea that showed up out of nowhere last year. It didn't look like a hydrangea when it started growing. I had no idea what it was. It kept getting bigger and bigger, spilling over onto the front steps, almost overtaking the whole bottom step.

I was going to ask the Man to take it out but then it bloomed. Small white hydrangea blooms. They looked wild. I didn't have the heart to take it out while it was blooming. So we let it bloom and then fall came and winter came and we forgot about it. It wasn't until I saw the dead branches that I realized it was some sort of hydrangea. You can see them in the back of the wagon bed.

But it was in a very inconvenient place and I really didn't like the look of the plant. It didn't stand up firm like a regular hydrangea, it was kind of loosey-goosey, growing long, floppy branches that went  everywhere. 

Say good-bye, little wild plant.
While the Man was working on the front of the house, I was working in a flower bed that used to surround a birch tree. The tree was dying so we took it down last year and let the bed around it fend for itself. 

Big mistake.

Some sort of wild thick grass started growing last year and came back with a vengeance this year. I started pulling out tall weeds and discovered lots of this grass underneath.

Horrible, horrible stuff. The root system is packed like cement. I bent a tine on a large garden fork trying to pull the roots out. I worked at it for about an hour and gave up.

The Man's going to have to rip this stuff out.
__________

All in all, a good day. We stopped at a nursery and bought a few new shrubs. The front of the house looks great, nice and tidy.

But that grass.

J and his girlfriend, A, came for dinner last weekend. 

A wanted to give J a haircut before dinner. He needed it. Like we all do right now. Yikes.

She's never used a hair trimmer before so I gave her a crash course on how to trim hair. Or at least my theories on how to trim hair. I don't know what I'm doing. I just guess.

Years ago I was trimming the Man's hair and I went a little. too. short. in one spot. That was the last time I trimmed his hair.
I think it was tickling the back of his neck.

He couldn't stop laughing.
Great job, A!


Comments