Primitive Social Media

The Man and I went for a hike a few weeks ago on one of the first nice days of the spring season. He had heard of an abandoned dam and thought I might like to see it. 

While we were walking along the river, we found a bench and sat for a while. Listening to the birds and the rushing water, I was glancing around keeping an eye out for bears.

The Man thinks I'm crazy to be so concerned with bears and a little obsessed over the danger we face each time we go out hiking. 

He thinks I'm being dramatic. I think I'm being pragmatic. Neither of us is diplomatic. 

So we walk along, him barreling through the words at breakneck speed and me meandering behind, clicking some sticks together just like in "Parent Trap". The kids used to laugh at me when I would do this and the Man would just shake his head. Didn't stop me.

I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm still alive and haven't been eaten by a bear. 
This tree stood right next to the bench. I sat for a while, reading the initials carved into it. The public declarations of love and couplehood.

And it made me think of Facebook.

Carving symbols into things has been around a very long time - think about all the cave art that exists. Facebook is nothing more than a cave wall, open to any wanderer that passes by and wants to leave his mark.


"What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun."  ~ Ecclesiastes 1:9



Comments