NYC at Christmas

(Pardon the funny framing in this photo. I was shooting down the aisle of the bus and couldn't avoid the seats.)

Went off to NYC for the day on Sunday with some knitting friends. We usually go a couple times a year, once in the spring and once near Christmas. I love the Christmas trip best I think. The hustle and bustle, the decorations, the windows, the shopping, the cold air, the air of expectation. 

I love it all.

As we were driving into the city we saw the Macy's balloon in the street up ahead. Had no idea what was going on. We were detoured around the street and didn't think much of it until the next day. I was talking to a friend who had been in NYC on Saturday. They saw the same balloon in the street, asked a street officer what was going on and he said, "They're filming the new Eddie Murphy movie."

That's why I love visiting the city. You just never know.
First stop of the day was Eataly. Well, let me tell you, it's a good thing I did a bit of reading before we went. I suggested we go first thing in the morning, as soon as they opened, because the crowds were supposed to be horrific.

We had a grand time. Wandered around the shops, picking things up, smelling the delicious foods being prepared, listening to Italian, and French, and Russian, and Japanese, and lots of other languages. People from everywhere were visiting this place.

Some things were reasonably priced, others not so much.


Especially the truffles. Not the chocolate kind.


They were tres expensive. The entree I ordered happened to be the featured dish of the day. You could get it just as it was for $16 or add truffles for $66.


Gulp. An extra $50 for truffles? And I'm not really sure what they are. Some sort of mushroom or fungi?


No thank you. Keep your truffles.
I love this photo. Reminds me of a 1950s LIFE scene.

So many people on the streets. 
I don't skate but I enjoy watching them. No Olympic contenders that we could see.

Love this scene. The taxi is going one way, the sign is pointing the other, people waiting to cross the street, cell phone talker, and the things you can see through the windows of the taxi.

Typical NYC street scene.
 
Times Square. These lights draw you like a moth.

I can't wait to go back.

Comments

  1. That is so funny that we were there the VERY same day, and went to the same places!
    I love NYC too, but I said to Jim as we were walking around and freezing our bums off that maybe next time (since the last time we came was August when it was sweltering)we could come when it was spring or fall, please???
    I love NYC too. If I was rich, I would have an apt right in Manhattan to go to on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I told the Man that I'd love to live in the city for three months, just to experience it full time for a while! Maybe if we you, me, and fifty or so other friends pool our money we could afford a one room sublet somewhere?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures!!! I LOVE the 1950s scene, I would buy that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why, thank you, Taylor. That's the nicest compliment a photog can hear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment