Clean Towels

We had a good conversation at Bible study tonight. There are five of us that attend this study and we are a mix of ages, both young and old.

One of the women was talking about something her husband did that aggravated her. She bought a cutting board to use specifically with fruits and vegetables. She showed it to her husband and explained that if he wanted to cut any meat products,  please use one of the other cutting boards.

She came home the next afternoon and her brand new cutting board was on the kitchen counter, covered in venison meat and blood.

She was understandably aggravated. Some of the other women told her to let it go. I pointed out that it wasn't the cutting board that was the issue, but the lack of regard for her feelings.

And I told her my story about the Man.

One of my pet peeves is when he wipes dirty hands on the dishtowel hanging on the oven door. It makes me see red. I can't tell you how many times over the course of our thirty year marriage I have asked him NOT to do this. Use a paper towel if you have dirty hands, I've said. Or wash your hands first and then use the dish towel, I've repeated multiple times.

And yet.

I was sitting at the kitchen table yesterday and he ate some greasy food and went to the towel to wipe his hands. I was sitting right there. After I've asked him not to do this.

Aaarrggh. I can't stand it.

So I was thinking about that story tonight and felt like I'd been hit by a hammer. Because all I could think about was God. 

How many times do I do something that displeases Him? Over and over again? 

Yet grace. And forgiveness. 

It was a humbling moment and I am going to try and be full of grace toward the Man the next time he wipes his hands on my clean towel. 

How can I do less?

Comments