Good Cookin'


Our winter porch.

Simple. Heart, stars, pine trees.

I like it.
Got a double star when I took this photo last night. Something new to learn - how to stop light from reflecting inside the lens and creating this double star.

J and one of his friends, another J, came over yesterday for some trip planning. The Man and the two young guys are heading out on a fishing trip later this year. They are getting very excited and I love listening to them talk and plan. The Man hasn't done a trip like this in a very long time and I'm excited for him. I offer advice when they ask and help them with suggestions (like "Make sure you ask for an AAA discount at the airport hotel!")

We were watching football while they planned. I had lots of comfort food cooking for dinner and had some yummy things for dessert - brownies I made the night before, warm apple and raspberry tarts fresh out of the oven and an ice cream roll. Snow was on the ground outside and we were nice and warm and cozy inside. It was a wonderful Sunday afternoon full of talking and laughter and teasing. 

J's friend was coming off a 21-day fast and he was hungry! I had homemade mac and cheese on the stove, kielbasa and pineapple in the slow cooker, and taco salad ready to go when it was time to eat.

"Ooooh, real mac and cheese!" said J's friend. "Not from a box!'

He piled his plate high and tucked in. "It may be because I haven't eaten in three weeks but this stuff is really good! What's in it??" he asked, pointing at the taco salad. I told him how I made it. "It's really good!" he repeated.

Ha. Nothing like a 21-day fast to make your cooking taste good.
__________

The guys stayed for a while, watching most of the second game and then they headed out, thanking us for the care packages of brownies I handed to each of them.

It was a lovely day and I'm so happy my kids and their friends still come around. It warms this mama's heart.

Comments