New Years Eve

Little Man O was such a trooper! He stayed up until 9pm and then went in for a little sleep. His mom and dad planned on getting him up in time to see the ball drop.

Not that he'll remember it. But we will.
B in New Year's eve regalia.
Little Man's face looking at Grampa's hat.

What are you doing, Grampa?
Family photo on New Year's Eve.
Great Grampa loved hanging out with little man while his parents were playing board games with everyone else.
K brought little man's bubble machine over. 

He wasn't too impressed.

Of course he was busy getting some snuggles from his daddy.
Pulling out masks and noisemakers and getting ready for the ball to drop.
__________

K's maid of honor, E, is looking through the New Year's eve box.

When I was young, my father's company would close between Christmas and New Year's and we would travel north to Nan's house on the day before Christmas eve. We stayed all week, visiting lots of extended family, and spent every New Year's eve with Nan and Gramps at their house. Nan had the original New Year's eve box. She kept it in the basement and my sisters and I got to go through it every year. We pulled out what we wanted to use and had lots of fun reminiscing over things from years past.

So when my kids were young, I started my own New Year's eve box. It's grown and morphed over the years. Occasionally, I pick up new things from here and there, adding them to the box for the next time I host the party. 

My niece, E, found some confetti poppers I must have put in the box. She and her sister and their friends set them off at midnight. We're still finding confetti. Thank heavens for Roomba. That little workhorse cleaned up most of the stragglers.

Mostly I love the box because it reminds me of my Nan. And of being a little girl, surrounded by her family, in a house full of love and laughter and joy.

Happy New Year, everyone.


Comments