Blowing Bubbles


Minus 16 degrees this morning. 

I don't ever remember temps like that around here. We've had cold spells before, some below zero but mostly single digit in recent years. Although I suppose it's hard to tell the difference between 5 degrees and minus 16 degrees. It's all just cold.

I got up first thing this morning to try freezing bubbles. I've been seeing them all over social media and wanted to try it myself.

I got Little Man's bottle of bubbles from the closet, put a sweater on, and went out to the back porch to blow bubbles. 

What a disaster. It was a little windy so they took off immediately from the wand. They dropped to the porch floor and popped right away. They never got to freeze at all. 

Humph. Maybe I should look into this a little more.
I came in and went straight to Google. 

Apparently this takes more effort than I thought. Lots of different techniques, mostly involving mixtures of things like dish soap, corn syrup, and other stuff and not simply bubble liquid from the local dollar store. There's also some snow involved. And no wind.

Oh brother. I've got to be more prepared for the next cold spell if I'm going to freeze bubbles.
I decided to take photos of the ice crystals on the windows instead. I think the photo above looks like a volcano spewing chunks of ice. 
An icy heart.

And yes, I went out on the back porch in just a sweater. I wasn't out long and I kept running back into the house. Thank goodness the neighbors can't see me from the back porch. I probably looked a bit crazy blowing bubbles in a sweater when it's minus 16 degrees.

Comments