Prince Edward Island

Prince Edward Island is simply beautiful in November.

Simple, quiet, peaceful.

There was no traffic. Very few people. 

There wasn't much open, especially restaurants. This island is definitely run by the tourist season and when they go home, everything closes up.

We found food at the grocery store and had tapas one night. We found sandwiches for another night. We had better luck at lunch while exploring the island and found a local diner style place to eat. Another day we took a drive to the biggest city to do a little shopping and found a restaurant for lunch.

We had lobster rolls and mussels. Just what the island is known for.

One of the places I've always wanted to visit was the house on which Lucy Maud Montgomery based her Anne of Green Gables books. When I checked the website to see what their hours were, I discovered they closed up for the season the day before we got there.

We were going to be one day too late.

I decided to email the museum to see if there was any way we could stop by and see the grounds. And if people were going to be there, closing up and all, could we perhaps peek inside?

A fine fellow named George answered me and told me that we could probably work something out and to email him when we got closer to our visit. About three days before, I emailed George and never got a response.

Fast forward and we decide to take a drive and just show up and see what happens. We pulled into the long drive, got out and started walking toward two gentlemen digging a hole, one of them on a small piece of equipment like a backhoe/tractor. He stopped the engine when we got close and I asked if George was around.

"I'm George!" he said. And I introduced myself. He smiled and welcomed us and went to get his sister. She was going to open the museum/house so we could see it.

We visited and explored for about an hour and then chatted with the two of them for a little while before she had to leave. I thanked them profusely and off we went.

__________

Turns out George and his sister are Lucy Maud Montgomery's great-grandchildren.

Awww. We love Prince Edward Island. We explored the shoreline and drove inland. We stopped at a very small library and I got to look around and chat with the librarian. The library was about as big as our Children's department. I asked her how she liked working in such a small library. 

"This is the big library! I work at an even smaller one part time," she said. 

After a full day of exploring, back at the cottage we rented, looking out the front door.

 

Comments