The Case of the Laundry Line, or The Joads revisited

Not my best shot. I was baffled when I took it.

My laundry line is gone.

GONE. 

G-O-N-E.

GONE.

Ack. 

Where's my little icicle buddies?
Of course it only took me a moment to track down the culprit. I was all over this like Nancy Drew looking for the Hidden Staircase.


I found the guilty party in the kitchen, sitting at the table all innocent-like, drinking a morning cup of coffee.


"Where's the laundry line?"


A befuddled look appears, quizzical eyebrow raised, and he says, "What?"


"WHERE IS THE LAUNDRY LINE?"


"I took it down." He looks back down at the paper and picks up his coffee mug. Silly man, he thinks he's answered the question adequately.


"Why?" says I.


"It was in my way. You know, when I was clearing off the roof." Oh, the roof. That has been a source of much discussion in our household and now it's the cause of the missing laundry line.


"Well you can put it back, please. I take pictures of that laundry line. AND WHERE ARE THE ICICLES?"


The Man thinks I'm deranged.


I want my icicles back.
I  satisfied myself with taking a picture of all the little ice balls on the evergreen tree by the back porch.


It's not the same.


I want my icicles back.
I bought a set of beautiful actions last week over at Florabella. She released the Luxe II set and was offering it at a discounted price for the first few days.

I love these actions.

I love how they make these pictures look very dustbowl-ish, like I'm in the middle of Oklahoma during a dust storm, or a blizzard.

I'm thinking Grapes of Wrath here, folks. Poverty. Depression. Hard times.

But amidst all that was perseverance, and survival, and scrappy people.
The bank is something more than men, I tell you. It's the monster. Men made it, but they can't control it. ~John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

It ain't that big. The whole United States ain't that big. It ain't that big. It ain't big enough. There ain't room enough for you an' me, for your kind an' my kind, for rich and poor together all in one country, for thieves and honest men. For hunger and fat. ~John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

Pertinent words in 1939. 

And 2011.

Comments

  1. I know where you're coming from - when Marc was building the shed, he had to take ours down, so he could drive his truck back and forth across the yard - I was without it quite a while.
    It's important to have a clothesline up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture with the cows is breathtaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know that in my e-travels today, I came across 2 or 3 OTHER mentions of the Joads, or "The Grapes of Wrath"? I can hardly believe it.

    Do you think it has some mysterious meaning??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Taylor!

    Lisa, we'll talk more on Friday and try to figure it out....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment