Yummy (Sin)namon Rolls

Wow. These things are delicious, unbelievably tasty, phenomenal . We scarfed down two pans of them today. The recipe was on Heather Hale's blog here. She gives you an awesome tutorial on how to make these and they went together exactly like she said they would. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe, Heather. My family thanks you, too. Oh yeah, and one of my daughter's friends is also very thankful since she slept over last night and got to have these for breakfast this morning.
I've never baked with yeast before. Well, I used to have a bread machine but that doesn't count. All I had to do for that bread was throw all the ingredients in and hit start. This recipe made me mix the yeast in myself, let it rise (see above pic) and then add the flour and other stuff to make the dough. After I rolled it out and put the butter, cinnamon, and sugar on and then rolled it up, it had to rise some more. I felt just like Laura Ingalls Wilder, making homemade yeasty goodness in my kitchen this morning.
It didn't take very long to make these. The hardest part was waiting for them to rise. K. and her friend kept coming into the kitchen to find out if they were done yet. I started making them about 9:00 a.m and we ate them at about 10:30 a.m. Of course, I didn't expect the girls to be up that early. They shocked me when they strolled into the kitchen at about 9:15 a.m. K. usually gets up about noon. I figured I'd have hot cinnamon rolls waiting for them when they got up. That didn't work out. Oh well, they just had to wait and I bet it made them taste just a teensy bit better.
I crammed too many in the pan at first. After they rose for the second time in the pan, I decided to divide them up into two pans. I could picture the dough rising while it baked into some huge doughy mess, oozing all over my oven. The Man would not have been amused since he just cleaned the oven. Thus, time to move some rolls.
While they were rising in the oven, I made the frosting. Yum. How do I know it's yum? I tasted it, of course. One of the perks of being the baker.
Finally they were baked and frosted and we dove right in. 1.5 hours of work eaten in about 15 minutes.

Comments