An Honest Mistake


We had company for dinner this weekend and I was trying out a new recipe I found on Pinterest. A most delicious new recipe - It's Not Summer Yet Greek Pasta Salad.

The recipe calls for fresh basil and we have some growing in the garden. It's nice to go out in the backyard and harvest what you need. I love the whole farm to table movement even if I don't have a farm and I am only harvesting vegetables. So I guess I'm not really doing farm to table, just garden to table.

I went out to the garden to get some basil and found it growing along the edge of the garden where we always plant it. I started picking leaves and had a good handful when I heard someone coming up behind me.

"What are you doing?" asked the Man. "You're not allowed out here unsupervised." And yes, he actually said that to me.

"I'm picking basil leaves for the orzo salad," I replied, thinking it was fairly obvious what I was doing.

"No, you're not. You're plucking leaves off J's pepper plant," he retorted, smirking at me. "Don't  touch any more plants. They'll die. I'll get the basil leaves for you."

I looked at the leaves in my hand. What? Pepper leaves?

Tossing the leaves into the grass, I followed the Man over to the basil plants, which were in an entirely new location than previous years. How was I supposed to know?

FYI, in the photos above, the pepper plant is on the left and the basil plant is on the right. They look the same, don't they?


~~~~~~~~~~

This story reminds me of an issue involving gas cans from a long time ago. 

But that's for another day.

Comments