Book Expo America in NYC

Book Expo America in NYC today.

It took us four hours to get to the Javits Center. It should have taken us about three hours, at the most.

There was awful traffic, for no good reason, on the road we traveled.

But, oh boy, was it worth the drive.
First author signing of the day was this gentleman. He wrote a book about his grandfather, a WWII parachute jumper.

J. loved this book. He scoffed it right up.
We got to meet some very. famous. people. like Debbie Macomber, Joe Scarborough, and Peter and Paul of Peter, Paul, and Mary.

I got pictures of Laurie Halse Anderson and Rick Riordan. The lines to get a signed book from them were too long and there was so much else to see. I snapped a few pics and walked away.

I'd already met Rick Riordan a few years ago, anyway. I don't want him to think I'm a stalker or anything.
We turned a corner and found this exhibit. All girly and pink looking. Very eye catching and I had to snap a pic.

The poor woman who had stopped to rest was waving me off, trying to tell me she was in my picture. I told her not to worry about it, I'd blur her face out so no one would recognize her.It was the author of the book.

Oy vey. I can't believe I said that to her.

She was very gracious when we went over to talk to her and she gave us each a copy of her cookbook Bite Me: a Stomach-Satisfying, Visually Gratifying, Fresh-Mouthed Cookbook.

And she let me take her picture.
A young adult author who's just starting to get name recognition - James Dashner. He was nice and chatty and very pleasant to talk to.

Total book count for the day: 28 free books.

Free books!

Did you get that? Free books!
People bring suitcases to this event to pack up all the free books they get.

This is Candyland for librarians and bibliophiles.

And the book publishers and book gadget peddlers give away tote bags! I love tote bags!

We headed for the bus stop about 4:00 pm. But our bus was late and he didn't pick us up until about 4:30 pm.
It took forever to get out of the city.

Okay, that's a bit dramatic.

Actually, it took three hours to get out of the city. That's crazy. We kept running into traffic jams, accidents, fires, detours, you name it and we found it.

It took us 5.5 hours to get home.

We spent more time on the bus than we did in the exhibit hall.
But there's always something to see in New York. That's why I love visiting the city. Look at this gorgeous stained glass window. Pretty, huh?
I love this graffiti, No Human Being is Illegal.

What a great day.

Free books and free tote bags.

Candyland, I tell you, Candyland.

Comments