Happy Mother's Day

When my kids asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day, I knew exactly what I wanted.

I wanted to walk along some railroad tracks - with my camera.

I wanted to spend the day with my family - outside, enjoying this beautiful world, capturing the moments before they slip away into the recesses of my memory.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

What I really wanted?

I wanted to take pictures of them - with no faces, no pouting, no crankiness.


And, boy, did they deliver.

The Man took us to the perfect spot, along a river, where the greens were so vibrant, the leaves were humming.

No bugs. No people. Just us. Perfect.
You know what the best thing about walking railroad tracks is? There's always a bend.

You never know what's coming around the corner.
We turned the first corner and found a bridge.

Wow. Perfect photo background.
They were just silly enough to have a good time and not degenerate into rock throwing. Although I did hear someone threaten to throw something and all I had to do was clear my throat. That was enough to hear a furious whisper, "You better not throw that. It's MOTHER'S DAY and Mom won't like it."Apparently, staying balanced on rails is hard to do. I wouldn't know. I didn't try.

Some days it's all I can do to walk upright and not trip over my own feet. I wasn't about to chance it with a camera around my neck.

They let me take over 500 shots. Wow.

They were on their best behavior. Of course, J.'s birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and K. hasn't finished receiving all of her present yet.

So there was great incentive to smile for the camera.

You gotta love financial motivation.
Every now and then, I'd get a glimpse of the real kids. Like that look I'm getting above from K. She's nearing the end of her patience.

Just one more, sugarbug.
Time to switch to J. He's still fairly tolerant.

I let him fish for a while. That kept him and the Man happy. And smiling.

After we left the railroad tracks, we stopped for ice cream and then hit the grocery store to get the stuff they needed to make dinner.

Yup, that's right. Not only did they cooperate in over 500 pictures but they cooked dinner for me and grandma, too.We dined on paella, garlic rolls, sauteed mushrooms, and strawberry peach dessert stuff.

That's the name of it. Dessert stuff. I don't ask questions, I just eat.
It was a terrific Mother's Day and I love these guys.

Really.

They're the best. Sorry, you can't have them.


























































Comments