The Emerald Isle, Day Four Point Two Five or A Rocky Start


Heading out on a {short} hike to see Newtown Castle.

We walked along a narrow country road, passing by this pretty little church, to get to the castle. Along both sides of the road were hundreds, probably thousands, of blackberry bushes. I have never seen so many blackberries in my life.

T (the hubby) and I could not contain ourselves. We stopped every three feet or so to gather handfuls of the deliciously sweet, juicy berries to pop into our mouths.

T (my friend) and the Man just kept walking. They weren't stopping for berry picking. Every now and then they would snag a berry or two and munch away but they could not match what T and I were eating. We loved, loved, loved those berries.


We weren't on the road for very long. The trail took us off into a meadow.

And another one. And another one. And another one. And another one. And another one.

Endless meadows, each one beginning and ending with a stone wall we had to climb to get into the next one. I can not tell you how many times I tripped going over those stone walls. The Man held my hand each time. 

He saved my camera from so many near disastrous falls.

He got a bit exasperated with all the picture taking. "Don't you think you should watch where you're walking?" he asked several times.

No, Man, I don't. Or I would not have any pictures of our hike. 

Just don't let go of my hand.
See that very narrow wire next to the Man's left arm? That's an electric wire.

We had to hike ALONG THE SIDE OF THAT WIRE until we got to the other side of the field. I was terrified I was going to trip and fall into it. On the right side was a stone wall covered in brambles - not something you want to brush up against.

There was a lot of stress on this part of the hike. I think at one point I may have told the Man he was going to have to carry me across the field.

He ignored me.
Oh, look, another field to cross.

This hike was beginning to feel like crossing the Sahara Desert.

Not that I have ever crossed the actual Sahara Desert. But I think it must feel like this. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. But it was a very long hike  - at least an hour.
Finally came out to the next part of the hike - a road.

So glad to be out of the rocky fields and meadows that were constantly trying to trip me up and kill me and my camera.

~~~~~~~~~~

Me + rocky fields = horrible idea.

Comments