Two Little Poppets



Two little ones, a sister and brother, came to visit the library last week. Their excitement was palpable, the air was buzzing with it. They flitted from the craft area to the prize area to the fish tank and back again, stopping to visit the display cases and the prize area one more time. Over and over again, while their nanny watched carefully, they had free reign of the whole floor.

The littlest one got brave and came to talk to me while I was sitting at the desk. 

"We can't take no books home because we don't have a library card," he said woefully, looking up at me with sad brown eyes. "Well, does your nanny have a card?" I asked, trying to find a way to get books home with this guy.

"No, she don't. And she don't live here neither so she can't have a card," he said, even more woefully than before.

"Oh, well, I am sorry about that. Would you like to pick some books out and we can hold them for you until mom or dad can come get them?" I asked gently, hoping he would agree and not start sobbing, as his quivering lip was telling me he might do at any moment.

"Daddy's gonna come get them on Friday," he informed me cheerily. "The lady downstairs said she would hold our books for us until he can get them," and he flitted away, eyeing the fish tank and heading in that direction.

I think he was playing me. With that quivering lip and those sad brown eyes. 
A few moments later his older sister skips over to talk to me. Vivacious and animated, she starts peppering me with questions.

"What are those things in the glass boxes? How did they get in there? Where do they come from?" she asked, referring to display cases we have for children to share their special collections with the community - collections of Legos and Matchboxes baseball cards and coins.

I explained what they were and asked if she had a special collection she might like to share. She cocked her head to the side, put her finger to her lip, and said, "I have one goldfish." She paused and then said, "But that's not a collection, is it?"

"Nope. One isn't a collection. Do you have anything else?" I asked, wondering what this little poppet was going to present next.

"I have a Barbie collection! I have about thirty of them!" she exclaimed. Before I could say anything, her little face fell and she whispered, "But they don't have any clothes. The dog ate them all."

She looked at me and said, "I probably can't bring naked Barbies in, right?"

LOVE. MY. JOB.

~~~~~~~~~~

Playing around with some beach photos and cleaning out some old filters and actions. I kind of like these two.

Comments