Corn {People}


Lush.


That's what comes to mind when I wandered out into the Man's garden tonight. 


With permission, of course. He told me to go out and tend to my basil. I had to pinch off flower heads. But that's all he let me do. That was enough. I had flip flops on and sank into dusty, dry dirt. By the time I was finished plucking off flower heads, I had hobbit feet. 


You can barely see the Man through the tomato plants and corn. He's the tiny orange plop of color in the back right. All this hot, humid weather has been marvelous for the plants. 
K standing next to the corn. I can't believe how high it is. 

There's a bright golden haze on the meadow,
There's a bright golden haze on the meadow,
The corn is as high as an elephant's eye,
An' it looks like its climbin' clear up to the sky.

Oh what a beautiful morning,
Oh what a beautiful day,
I've got a wonderful feeling,
Everything's going my way.

Thank you Mr. Rodgers and Mr. Hammerstein. Now I know how high corn grows.
~~~~~~~~~~
I had to clip K's feet in order to get the height of the corn. I was using my 85mm lens and had backed up as far as I could. It wasn't enough. Sorry K. I'll try to leave your feet attached next time.
Wandering through the corn, I thought they looked like little ladies and gentlemen with some mighty fancy hair-dos.

One had long wavy blonde hair, blowing in the breeze, while Ms. Corn looked up at the sky. One had shorter blonde hair, more like Animal from the Muppets. Mr. Short Hair Corn looked like a drummer, waiting for a band to appear. And then there was Ms. Red Head. Very glamorous, very 1960s looking, kind of like Ginger from "Gilligan's Island".
K and I played Yahtzee tonight. We had lots of laughs over fortuitous rolls of the die. And not so fortuitous. At one point, we thought we should play the reverse - who could score the fewest total points.


Yahtzee = summer.


Mom and I used to play Yahtzee all summer long. I'm carrying on this summertime tradition with my own.


I hope she plays it with her daughter some summer day and thinks about me.

Comments