From Jamestown to Yorktown

Today was so much fun! The Man and I headed to Charlottesville early this morning. We're on our way to see Monticello tomorrow.

Along the way, we planned to stop at Jamestown and Yorktown.

I love, love, love historical sites and museums. I'm so glad the Man does too. We just suck up all this history stuff.
These first handful of pics or so are from Jamestown. I don't remember learning much about this settlement so this was very interesting for me. So many people came over from England to try and make this settlement feasible. So many lives were lost in the early years.
The Susan Constant. One of the three ships that were the first to come over to Jamestown. We looked all around this ship, examining every inch. The Man loves boats.
One of the guides asked what we thought was the hardest thing to deal with on the 100+ days it took to cross the Atlantic. I thought it might be claustrophobia - feeling trapped on the boat. But it wasn't that at all. It was boredom. 

There were lots of games laid out on the tables. I'm sure they were to help relieve that boredom.
So many ropes. I don't know how the sailors learned how to use all of them.

Each rope has its own name and the sailors had to learn them all.
These kinds of beds make me itchy. I picture bed bugs crawling all over them, in the hay underneath the sheets.

Yuck.
The next few shots are from Yorktown. For all of you who don't remember...Yorktown is where Cornwallis (the British commander) surrendered to Washington. It was the end of the Revolutionary War and the beginning of our nation.

I get goosebumps at sites like these. Such brave men and women that fought for our freedom.
Of course I took a pic of the kitchenware.

I love this kind of pottery.
A pretty assortment of pumpkins in the kitchen.
The Man had a chuckle to himself when he saw all this fencing. Since he's a surveyor, he sees split rail fencing quite often. Virginia split rail fencing.

It hit him today that he was seeing Virginia split rail fencing....the original stuff. A little surveyor humor for you.
__________

We ended the day at a fantastic Italian restaurant courtesy of J and K. It was their anniversary gift to us. The house made pasta was phenomenal, as was the homemade cheesecake with amaretto cherries. Glasses of Riesling and Pinot Noir completed the meal.

If you're ever in the Charlottesville area, try Vivace.

Comments