Memorial Day thoughts

Our town has a parade in the morning, followed by a short ceremony in the cemetery every Memorial Day.

We've never gone to the parade before.

We wanted to go this year. K. was marching in it, plus it seemed like the right thing to do. Take some time out of our weekend to honor the men and women that sacrificed so much for the freedoms we enjoy.
It was a glorious day. Sunny, warm, brilliant blue skies. Neighbors and friends gathering on the town green. The parade route along Maple Street, Church Street, Main Street. A flyover before the parade began sent goosebumps up everyone's arms.

This is small town America.

I remember being a kid and thinking, I'm not living in a small town like this when I grow up. I'm getting out of here. I'm going to a city where there's some life.

But a funny thing happened on my way to growing up.

I met the Man.

And he lived in his own little house in small town America. I wasn't going anywhere.
And you know what? I'm glad.

This is home.
Since today is officially J.'s birthday we had another cake for him.

We'll use any excuse for a cake.

Comments