Monday, June 14, 2010

Weekend Extravaganza

Whew. What a weekend.

I needed a nap today to recover.

I went tagging with a friend Saturday morning and came home with an old wooden school desk and chair. They bolt to the floor, or not, and the desk is wonderfully marked with various initials and names of the schoolchildren that sat at that desk.

It has a hole for an inkwell. But there's no way I'm putting ink in there. I know what will happen.

I'll end up googling "how to remove ink from a carpet without telling your husband what happened."

I haven't taken any pics of it yet, but I will. Then you'll get to see it.
After tagging all morning, I had to get home so we could get to this young lady's graduation party.

Our lovely P., J.'s girlfriend, is graduating this week! Yay for P.!

She's a smart cookie, have I told you that already? Top 10% of her class. She's inspiring J., I think. His grades have improved dramatically since he started dating her. Even exponentially.

He made Dean's List this semester, for Pete's sake.

But enough about him, this is about her.

She gave a wonderful speech at her party. She made me cry.

I'm not going to think about August and her going away to college. Nope, I'm sticking my head in the sand.
The party was at her best friend's house and they had very cute photo collages of both girls through the years.

*Note to self: do this for K.'s graduation, very good idea.

After that party, we had to get home so we could go out to dinner with some friends. We ate, and talked, and drank some wine, and had a bonfire, and laughed and then had coffee and dessert. A perfect summer night.

Sunday was spent in church all morning and then babysitting my nieces so their parents could go to a wedding.

We made cootie catchers, some people call them fortune tellers, but we called them cootie catchers when I was a young 'un. That kept them busy all afternoon.

All. Afternoon.

If you have a six or seven year old in the house, make these with them. They love 'em.

We went to Grampa's for dinner and then had to rush home to get into bed. It was a school night. Of course, they talked me into stopping for a McFlurry on the way home. Grampa didn't have any dessert for us and they were feeling very deprived. So we went home, ate our ice cream, and they went straight upstairs to brush teeth, say prayers, and get into bed.

Ahhhhh. Quiet. Peace. Season premiere of one of my favorite shows.

I turn the TV on and nothing happens. Nothing. Well, something happened. I got a small blue box that said "No Signal".

What do you mean no signal? What am I going to do?

I know! Get my six year old nieces! Surely they'll know how to turn on the TV.

"Girls, do you know how to turn on the TV?" I ask from the bottom of the stairs."Yup, we do," came the answer. "Good, can you come down here and turn on the TV for Auntie, please?"

Thunk, thunk, thunk as they jog down the stairs and race each other into the living room.

Press, press, press every button on the remote. And nothing. Still "no signal".

"That's not supposed to do that," they say. We all stand there looking at the TV for a while.

"Maybe we should go to bed now, Auntie, don't you think?"

Yeah, yeah, I suppose. Now I have to text my BIL. He calls back within a few minutes and gets me straightened out. Yay. I have my own personal Help desk.

Because I can't turn on a television.

I better go back to crafting.
Some pretty blue bottles I spray painted today.

Well, actually the Man helped me because I can't spray paint. It drips, it runs, it looks awful.

He has to clean up behind me.
He's so smart when he spray paints. I didn't think to put them on sticks to get better coverage.

I just sprayed them on newspaper, which is what they got stuck on when I went to pick them up a little bit later.

Maybe I better learn how to turn on the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment